Sunday, November 15, 2015

Team Spirit

Being on a team has taught me many things.  Before I joined cross country I had never really been a part of a team atmosphere.  Yes, when I did dance there were other people in the class, but that's different.  We only met a couple times a week and didn't compete or have the same bond.  I don't know, it's difficult to explain.  Joining a team made me nervous though.  I had a desire to be accepted, make friends, and belong, but what if those things didn't happen?

In the summertime it was different.  Although we did train as a team, it didn't really feel like we were all a team yet.  The older girls would run together and the freshman would run together.  That's just how it was.  It took awhile for me to connect with the other girls.  I had become friends with some of the older girls, but not the majority of them.  When we went away to camp I became closer with a few of them, but I still felt kinda isolated.

Eventually, I was able to keep up with them on easy days and I became friends with them.  I learned so much from being a part of the team, things that I could not have learned any other way.  At the end of the day, we were a family.  Each on of us was there to support the other people, regardless of who they were or what they needed.

One way that we were all solidified together as a team was through our buddies.  Each underclassman was assigned an upperclassman buddy on the team.  This helped to bridge the gaps between the different ages and grades.  My buddy was Haley, a junior who was also on the Varsity team.  Haley and I quickly became friends.  She always knew what to say to me when I was feeling down or didn't have the best race or workout.  I could comfort her when things weren't going well, too.  She was my person on the team that I knew would always be there for me.
Julia, me, and Lauren.  Aren't we a happy bunch?  Photo Courtesy of: Savannah N.
 Every girl also buys her buddy a gift for each race.  These gifts are supposed to be inexpensive and simple, but giving gifts just brings me joy!  At one point, I had my buddy gifts planned out for the next four races.  I would go to the store with my mom or sister and start brainstorming what I was going to buy.

These Luna Bars look yummy.  Wait, what about these Clif Bars or these Odwalla bars???  Should I get her chapstick, socks, or maybe a drink?

These thoughts would race through my head and I went to the cash register with a mountain of energy bars several times.  I wanted to get Haley something that was useful, that she would appreciate, and that she wanted.  I also wanted it to look nice, so I spent much of my time writing thoughtful cards and wrapping it up all pretty.

While this was unnecessary, giving things to people makes me inexplicably happy.  When they tell me that they needed this or love that, I feel like I made their day that much better.  Doing this for my teammate after she had a crappy race and seeing how it made her smile or be just a tad happier, made me feel like I made a difference.

Besides giving gifts, our cross country team knows how to support its teammates like no one else.  At our second race of the season in Logan, I felt horrible.  I was in a lot of pain and psyched myself out before the race even started.

We had to do about three laps around this dirt field.  Our team was set up under a pavilion along the race course.  I cried during the race and almost dropped out...it was that awful!  Regardless, every time I passed the pavilion, even at snail's speed (for me at least), my teammates would cheer as loud as they could at me. 

We've all got to help each other out! Photo Courtesy of: Media Psychology
Every time I would pass by them and run past listening to their cheers and strange things they would yell at me, I would smile for just a second.  They made me happy when I was in pain.  That is incredibly difficult to do.  After I finished racing and walked back to the pavilion, multiple people on my team embraced me and asked if I was okay.  The fact that they were genuinely concerned made me feel like I belonged.

I had nothing to be worried about.  I learned throughout the season that my team will be there for me no matter what.  They don't care how fast I run, what I look like, the weird habits I have, or the things I say.  From being on a team I learned that I am never really alone.  I will always have someone to be there for me, to make me laugh, to make me happy.

And as Cheryl Cole explained, "Team spirit spurs me on.  I've always found it easier to be strong for other people than for myself."  Sometimes cheering on others and helping them go faster is a ton easier than being positive during your own race.  That's what you have a team for, to encourage you when you cannot encourage yourself.

Ciao

Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment